Pediatrics/15 days old baby boy did not pass stool from past 3 days

Respected Sir,

It is to inform you that my 15 days old baby boy is not passing stool from past three days. He is currently dependent on breast-feeding and at times feeding is less due to insufficient secretion of mothers milk. He has been given today Janam Ghutti as per advise of a pediatrician in Delhi.

What should be our course of action and when should we go down for consulting a good pediatrician.

Thanks & Regards,
Sovanjeet Mishra,Asst.Prof.(Management) !!

Dear Prof. Mishra,

It is NORMAL for a baby not to pass stool even for 7-8 days, if baby is feeding well and passing urine regularly (at least 6-8 times in 24 hours).

Please don't give Janam Ghutti.

Please don't give any other milk other than breastfeeding. If milk is less, baby would demand more frequently: baby should be fed more frequently and ultimately milk flow/ amount would increase. On the other hand, giving any other milk, baby will be satisfied for the time being and this would in turn SUPRESS breastmilk (being in "Management" you would well understand "positive feedback" and "negative feedback"!!)...thus would harm the baby in the longer run. Breastfeed exclusively for 6 months. After 6 months, complementary feeding is started while CONTINUING breastfeeding.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.