Pediatrics/anorectal malformation

Question
Hello dr,
I wrote to you sometime back about my daughters  anal fissure. My daughter is 6 months and has been diagnosed to have anocutaneous fistula or anterior ectopic anus. I dont know the difference between the 2 but 2 different doctors are proposing the diagnosis. They are suggesting surgery to correct the position of the anus as the solution. My daughter is otherwise healthy normal baby so far. Doctors are saying constipation could be a major symptom of this type of abnormality which can start at any time and can even remain lifelong.
Can you help me understand this better.
Also my daughter was born in the USA and the doctors never told me anything like this. Was this missed at birth or the following checkups.
We have moved to singapore.
Please help understanding this and give me a right direction.
Thank you
Regards
Swetha

Answer
Hi, swetha,

Without seeing her and seeing the results of studies, it is impossible to know what the specific anatomy is that she has.  If something is very obvious looking at the rectum, then this was possibly missed at birth.  If there are no obvious external changes, then probably not missed.  I would rely on the opinions of skilled peds surgeons regarding what to do about this.  Sorry I can't be of more help to you,

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD