Pediatrics/chest congestion

Question
Dear Sir, my son is 22 months old and he is suffering from chest congestion from morning.we went to the doctor and he declared the condition to be severe an prescribed him Levolin inhaler to be given 3 times a day for 7 days. i was a bit worried as he is too young. and i don't feel that he is asmatic as we have never seen such problem before. what should i do? please help.

Answer
Hi Dola,

Relax! There is no need to panic. Only because the child has been prescribed does not mean that he is asthmatic. Giving medicine by inhaler means faster action (as the medicine is delivered directly in lungs) with less side effects than oral medicines (as the dose is many times less and medicines does not "go" anywhere else other than lungs).

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar