Pediatrics/constipation/child dosen't passes stool

Question
Dear Sir,

My son is 2 and a half yrs old. He had constipaton problems 6 months ago and had to deal with hard stools and had problems passing it. That time we consulted his doctor and he gave some laxatives and the problem was solved, but form that time onwards he is fearing to pass the stools. Every time he feels the pressure in the bowels he cries and says "I dont want to do latrine". Than around 10 days ago he stopped to pass the stools. He ate everything but did not do latrine. We again consulted the doctor, he examined the anal opening and said there was no problems like scratches or so. We even did some urine and blood reports. But he found nothing wrong.

He than initiated a course that cause controlled diarrhea. But till today (5 days than) he hasnt passed his stools. His eating is reduced to half. Doctor says its a mental problem and is just feared in getting hurt by passing stools.

Relatives sujjested to give enema. what's this and will it help? Please guide. Also please tell what kind of enema will be suitable for this age.

Please Help...
Thanks..

Answer
Dear Vishal,

There is an entity called Idiopathic Constipation of Infancy and Childhood. Some children just do not pass regular bowel movements without the use of laxatives; then again, we do get psychological stress leading to fear of bowel movements and constipation as a secondary result. In both cases, laxatives are recommended. If the problem causes distension of the stomach and pain, we relieve the problem with insertion of a liquid from the anal site upwards. This is known as an enema. Our ancestors used to put soap or a soapy suspension of water inside the anus and stimulate the passage of a motion. Modern enemas contain a concentrated solution of common salt in water or some other chemical. There is a third option and that is arranging with the local pharma company to supply you those small,child-sized suppositories. All you have to do is to insert one of these into your son's rectum, then keep his legs by each-other's side for about 15-30 minutes. At the end of this wait, the child's stools will be passed naturally.

Once he has passed a large quantity of stool, whether with a suppository or an enema, take him non-urgently to a paediatrician to start ongoing therapy for his problem.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala