You are here:

Pediatrics/Follow up question to lump behind 7-year old son's ear


Hello Again!  

I posted a question and received a reply (below) from Dr. Arun Kumar Suri.  I've already had the pediatrician check out the lump behind my 7-year old son's ear and he told me not to worry and to perhaps come back in one month.  I've read that lymph nodes that are swollen behind the ear of anywhere that are swollen due to illness should go down within one week, but my son's lump behind his ear has been the same size for over one month. What other specialist could I go to for a second opinion? Immunologist?  ENT?  Dermatologist?

Also, my son's two seizures when he was four years old were not febrile in nature.  The two seizures were one week apart following a pneumonia hospitalization.  Dr. Arun Kumar Suri mentioned a possible infection of the nervous system back then.  Just curious...could that result from a pneumonia infection because the two seizures immediately followed his pneumonia illness & hospitlization.  I always thought his pneumonia and the seizures that followed were related.

Thank you.

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

Lump behind 7-year old's ear

Hello! Would you please tell me what specialist to seek for my 7-year old son for a second opinion?  My 7-year old son has a history of acute respiratory illnesses during his infant/toddler years, allergies, pneumonia at age 4 that required hospitalization, and 2 grand mal seizures immediately following his pneumonia hospitialization discharge in 2010.  He was treated by a neurologist, on Keppra for two years and medication was discontinued recently after being seizure-free for three years and a normal EEG.  

About a month ago, I was cutting my son's hair and noticed a small lump behind his right ear, outside of the hair line right on the bone. I forgot all about it after that.  Then my son pointed the same bump out to me behind his right ear a couple nights ago and he said it's been bothering him recently.  The lump/bump looked about the same size two nights ago that it did one month ago when I was cutting his hair.  It doesn't feel hard, it seems like the skin around/on it moves, but I'm not sure if the actual lump moves.  I immediately took him to the pediatrician who said that it's probably a lymph node, that he  wasn't worried about it, and to bring my son back in one month for a re-check.  I've always been worried becuase my son has had over 4 CT scans and at least 15 chest xrays over the years.  At the times he was having multiple CT scans for his seizures and for some playground head injuries, I didn't realize how dangerous they were.  I'm not looking for trouble and am praying that the CT scans and this lump are not related.  I'm just wondering what specialist I should go to to seek a second opinion.  I hope the pediatrician is right and there's nothing to worry about but I really would feel better to get another opinion (and hope a specialist will tell me the same thing)instead of waiting one month. Pediatricians have been wrong before with different issues...I have six young children.

Please advise what specialist I can seek a second opinion from for the lump.  An ENT?  A dermatologist?  A lymph specialist...who would that be?  Someone else?  Thank you so much!

From your description it seems to be a lymph node and nothing serious. You can consult a pediatrician. Such lymph nodes are common in children and sometimes no treatment is required but it is important to get the child examined once.

He had seizure at the age of four years. If he had fever at that time it was probably febrile seizure unless he had some infection of the nervous system. This condition is also not serious.
S. Arun Kumar
http://www.homebusinessandfamilylife.x c```.NIM.QLQH+U,M-.ϋT(H-JJؙXX($($'UzYsrK BmJ?

Dear Monica,

I am inclined to agree with Dr. S. Arun Kumar's opinion. Some glands take forever to go ... even up to years. However, there should be NO PAIN beyond the acute phase of 7-14 days. Antibiotics are occasionally needed for up to two weeks. An ENT surgeon should be consulted to find out why the gland arose in the first place. Other than that, I have no other suggestions.

Dr. Taher


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dr. Taher Kagalwala


I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out


Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Awards and Honors
Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

Past/Present Clients
1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]