Pediatrics/strep at age 1

My son has been fluctuating from a fever of 101-102.9 for the past three days. Tylenol Fever reducer is the only thing that brings it down, except for last night. I also read that it isn't safe to give them more then 5 dosages within 24 hours. So today he won't be given any. The last time he got strep the nurse told me he was too small to take anything so he had to fight it. Then I went back two days later and his dr. gave me orapred. He had strep not respiratory distress. Do you know if there is anything a 13 month old can take for a virus? I have an appointment to take him today, but I'm worried they will just tell me there is nothing he can take. He has a runny nose, sad eyes, a little bit of a wheeze, and rarely wet diapers for two days, as well as, the fever of 102.9 all night.

Dear Anna,

Thank you for the question. While it is true that 5 doses in 24 hours is the maximum safe limit for Tylenol, remember that the total daily dose can be up to 60 mg/kg in these 4-5 doses. If you haven't crossed that level, even a sixth dose is okay. For example, if your son took 120 mg (i.e. 5 ml of Tylenol - acetaminophen) per dose, and his weight is 12 kg, you can give six such doses. But if you gave more than 120 mg/dose, you should settle for max. 5 doses in 24 hours. You could try sponging his body with lukewarm water when the temperature goes above 102 F, and this will aid the medicine to bring the fever down earlier and more persistently.

Antibiotics given repeatedly can cause a lot of harm, as can steroids. I think Orapred was a steroid, but I am not sure. You could speak to his doctor about the same. No other medicines are advisable or recommended or licensed for use in a toddler such as your son, I am afraid, so you and he will have to bear out the illness with fever care as suggested by me above.

I hope that answers your question.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.