Pediatrics/weight gain of infant

Respected sir
as per my previous question the birth weight was 3 kg,now at 14 weeks is 5.2 kg,should i start top feed or start feeding more frequently and wait for some time to see the change in weight,please help?
Sir what is the ideal time of feed time and feeding interval.

Hi Abha,

Feeding should NOT be given at a specific interval. Baby has to be fed only on demand: If you try to feed when the baby is not hungry, baby will not feed well.If the baby demands feed after one hour, you  have to feed...on the other hand, if the baby sleeps for 5-6 hours, it is also is sleeping since he/ she is satisfied. Baby will NEVER sleep hungry. Hence, if baby demands only after 5-6 hours, you have to feed then only.

Now, regarding feeding time. When the baby is being breastfed, baby dozes of after a few sucks. baby has to be kept awake by tickling on his cheek/ feet. You have to feed him till he leavs it on his own and goes into deep sleep. It takes 15-20 minutes on an average. However, sometimes it can be as less as 10 minutes and sometimes as long as 40 minutes. However, please note that if baby is feeding fr more than 40 minutes and is still not satisfied, baby definitely needs formula feed. You should NOT feed after feeding for 40 minutes at any time, instead, give formula feed after feeding for 40 minutes.

Since weight gain is somewhat lower than expected, it would be prudent to add on formula feed in addition to breastfeeding.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.