Pediatrics/Worms in stomach issue

Question
Hello Doctor,

I am Sudha from Chennai and My daughter Manasa is 4.6 years old.

In last October, we gave her medicine for stomach worm (after 6 months of earlier dose), which was a one time 10ml syrup. In 2 months, she again started itching at her butt. When I saw her rectum, a very tiny thread like white colour worm I could see. This time, our pediatrician suggested some heavy dosage 5ml per dose to be given twice a day for 3 days. And this was in Jan.

Now this is March and my baby started itching her butt and yesterday I saw the same tiny worm on her butt.

Why is it so frequently she gets it? Is it a symptom of some major issue? Is it fine to give her worm syrup one shot 10ml syrup to her even in a 2/3 months gap?

How to stop the frequency of getting the worms?

Please advice. Waiting eagerly for the answer.

Thanks
Sudha

Answer
Hi Sudha,

Actually, there are different medications available for deworming. The most commonly used is Albendazole and its dose is 10 ml once only. Another common medication is Mebendazole: Its dose is 5mL two times a day for 3 days. For this medicine, it is just appropriate (NOT "heavy" dose!!).

However, it is to be noted that these medicines act only on worms not on their eggs (which must also be present whenever worms are present). Hence, course of these medicines must be repeated after 2-3 WEEKS to break this cycle (as eggs become worms in 2-3 weeks). If this is not done, it leads to recurrence, as in your daughter's case.

Another cause of recurrence can obviously be re-infection. Please be more careful of the hygiene (nail-cutting, avoidance of playing in mud: especially barefoot, food and water hygiene).

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar