Pediatrics/my 4 months and 20 days old son not feeding properly

Question
Hello dr. My son is 4 months and 20 days old. Since birth he has colic issues for which till 3 months we used to treat him by regularly giving colicaid and woodsward gripe water. It used to stay in check but since past month his gas issues have increased tremendously due to which in few few hours he cries. And since past week it has become very bad. Also from last week he has stopped feeding normally. He cries a lot when he feels hungry but does not feed. Only when he overtires due to crying and goes to sleep he feeds very little. His gas issues we treat also and he passes gas also but still he has stopped feeding. Pls can u give me a solution for this what should I do. For time been I hd consulted a dr. N he gave disflatyl drops for gas. But still he does not take feed. Please do answer thankyou

Answer
Dear T.M.,

It might be a good idea to get his stool examined, and an ultrasound abdomen done on him to rule out other conditions like indigestion of carbs (a rather common problem), some partial forms of blockage of his bowels, etc. Also, please ask the pediatrician to check for hernias, as these can come and go, and are often missed unless specifically looked for. A urine test is also in order. What you think is gas may be a completely different problem. Revert to me after getting these tests done. For the excessive crying - do not give disflatyl, gripe waters etc. as this is an artificial market.

Dr. Taher

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala