Pediatrics/asthma uri

Question
My son has well controlled asthma but currently has a uri with cough. He says he feels up to playing in his lacrosse game. No audible wheezing pulse ox 98. Is it safe to let him play or should we keep him play or should we err on the side of caution and keep him home?

Answer
Hi, Pam,

I am a believer that kids with well controlled asthma should participate in anything they want to.  With him breathing well, I would simply use a couple puffs of albuterol before the game, 15-30 minutes before and let him play to his fullest.

Good luck, dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD