Pediatrics/asthma uri

My son has well controlled asthma but currently has a uri with cough. He says he feels up to playing in his lacrosse game. No audible wheezing pulse ox 98. Is it safe to let him play or should we keep him play or should we err on the side of caution and keep him home?

Hi, Pam,

I am a believer that kids with well controlled asthma should participate in anything they want to.  With him breathing well, I would simply use a couple puffs of albuterol before the game, 15-30 minutes before and let him play to his fullest.

Good luck, dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.