Well my son and i moved into a new apartment about a month and a week ago. Since day one there has been a roach problem, and management has attempted to address the issue by doing a bombing almost three weeks ago. Around the same time they bombed our apartment Jacob, my seven month old son, became ill with a fever, cough, loss of appetite and lethargic.i took him to the doctor and they said it was viral. It went away after a few days but four days later his cough was back and he was sick all over again. No fever but has no appetite he does eventually eat just not all at once or not the whole bottle and he had server runny diarrhea for two days so i took him back to the doctor who said it was just teething. Well yesterday he vomited everything he ate that morning and his cough is still bad hes fussy and not as active. We still have the bug problem and his dad has bronchial asthma to top it off. I know my theory is he has an allergy to roaches causing asthma or the pesticides affected him. He is normally a super happy active seven month old and i want my happy healthy baby back!!! After doing my research and trusting my mommy instincts i know this is not teething!! Also the apartments want to do another bomb today, and im unsure its a good idea with Jacobs condition to allow that or even try to wait out possible termination of the pest, and just break my lease. Advice is greatly appreciated. ~Jacobs mom

Dear Melissa,

Thank you for your question. I appreciate your concern about Jacob and his recent ill-health. First of all, I am inclined to agree with Jacob's physician on this whole thing being due to a virus. At the same time, his loose stools are DEFINITELY NOT due to teething. I think that the use of pesticides may well have unmasked his allergic tendencies, thereby causing a relapse of his respiratory symptoms.

What I would suggest is that you take him away from the house for a few days while the owners do another round of cockroach-elimination. It would be incorrect for you to project the idea that pest control measures can be put off for an indefinite time. You have to sanitize the home and then follow up to see what the contribution of the chemicals was to J's illness.

Dr. Taher

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.