Pediatrics/Regarding my newborn baby boy

Question
Hello doctor,
My baby is currently six weeks old and what we have been observing is that he finds difficulty while pooping..We give him gas drops and pear juice everyday..He is both breastfed and formulafed..initially he was given enfamil..He used to spit a lot so our doctor advised us to give him similac..Once we started off with similac my baby had severe gastric trouble..We doubted if it was because of similac..So without consulting with doctor we discontinued similac and continued with enfamil as before..He was doing better then..But even now he finds it difficult on few days..How many times a day does he need to poop..Could you please advice me doctor..
Thankyou!!

Answer
Hi Sahana,

Frequency of pooping varies widely in normal babies. Many normal babies do it upto 10-15 times a day...On the other hand, many other normal babies do it once in 3-4 and even upto 7 days!. Anything in between is considered "normal", if the baby is otherwise active, feeding well and passing urine regularly.

"Gas" is also normal, especially in exclusively or predominantly breastfed babies. There is no need to give "gas drops".

Unless the poop he passes is dry, hard that is coming in small pellets or pencil like, your baby sounds fine to me.

All babies (even those who pass watery poops) "appear" to strain (face going red and straining "gestures" they make) as they perceive the normal "bowel pressure" as "discomfort". They do the same before peeing also, if you notice carefully. All this is normal and there is absolutely no reason to worry/ give any medication/ change formula.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar