Pediatrics/Saltwater swimming pool

Question
I feel it is very important to teach my toddler to swim. My husband does not like the idea of him swimming in a chlorinated pool. I was trying to find information on the safety of saltwater pools. Are they really safer than chlorine pools? If not is there another alternative? I grew up swimming in chlorinated pools. I swam competitively for years and have not experienced any of the health issues associated with chlorine exposure. Still, I want my husband's mind to be at ease. Thank you in advance.

Answer
Hi, Nicole,

I'm not sure what the objection is to a chlorinated pool.  I know of no data that indicates they are not safe, if maintained properly.  

I suspect a poorly balanced salt water pool could have problems as well.  Lots of people have had years of experience, like yourself, in chlorine pools and if there were sinister health risks, I would think we would have seen them by now.  I would be happy to address specific concerns he may have re this.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD