Pediatrics/vaccination?

Question
my son was given 1st dosage as pentavac vaccine and oral polio vaccine and during second vaccine time he was given pentavac,oral roto-virus and oral polio. and during 3rd vaccine time he was given quadrovax,oral rotovirus and oral polio vaccine.
And also oral polio vaccine was given in government polio camp(two times).i hope that only one oral rotovirus vaccination remaining.  my doubt is that why  quadrovax was given instead of pentavac??
any more vaccination needed extra?? is there is need of injectable polio vaccine? pls advice.(BCG,ORAL POLIO VIRUS AND HEPATITIS B was given on his 10th day)

Answer
Hi Mr. Sursh,

Relax! There is nothing to worry.

Pentavac is a combination of DTP, Hib and Hepatitis B.
Quadrovax is a combination of DTP and Hib.

Doctor has rightly given Quadrovax as 3rd dose of Hepatitis B vaccine should be given 5 months after the 2nd dose. In fact, since your baby received 1st dose of Hepatitis B vaccine on 10th day and then 2nd dose as a component of Pentavac at 1.5 months of age, even at 2.5 months of age, Quadrovax could have been given.

For DTP and Hib, 3 doses have to be given at one month interval: at 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 months of age.

For rotavirus vaccine, there are 2 brands: If Rotarix has been used, then 2 doses are enough. If Rotateq has been used, then 3 doses are recommended: Hence, one dose remains only if Rotateq is being given to your baby.

Yes, IPV is currently recommended for better safety of the children. In babies who have already received 3 doses of OPV (as in your baby's case), 2 doses of IPV can be given at 2 months interval, followed by booster at 16-18 months of age. OPV should also be given at all pulse polio rounds till the child is 5 years old. This is over and above routine vaccination.

In addition to above, Pneumococcal vaccine (PCV) is also recommended for routine use (3 doses at one month interval followed by booster at 12-15 months.

You can access the latest immunization schedule (updated in November 2013), as recommended by Indian Academy of pediatrics (IAP) and endorsed by WHO at:

http://iapindia.org/IMM%20Schedule.pdf

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar