Dear Dr.Puneet Kr,
My son was given:-
OPV 2 times in govt. Polio camp.
At 3 months :-1st dosage as:- PENTAVAC , IPV(IMOVAX),ROTARIX. Prevnar-13 is pending as at left thigh IPV and at right thigh pentavac  was given. Prevnar 13 is scheduled to be given in next 2-3 ays.
Now my Question is
1.His next dose should be pentavac or quadrovax.
As I want to get his immunization with Govt. Dispensary and they are provided with PENTAVAC, OPV, HAEP-B only. They don򴠨ave Quadrovax.
Will it be a extra dose of Hep-B if pentavac is given.
2.  IPV should be given with this dose(2nd DTwP) or it should be given with the next dose
(3rd DTwP) of pentavac.

I'm Confused as Doctor has written Pentaxim for his next dose and it has polio vaccine in components.
IPV, Rotarix, prevnar-13 will be given at private setup.

Hi Amit,

Yes, Govt dispensaries are provided with limited vaccines only...Actually, Quadrovax is recommended at 2nd and 3rd dose. In my opinion you should take vaccination from private set up only...

3rd dose of Hepatitis B is recommended at 4 months after the 2nd dose (As your baby has received 1st dose at birth and 2nd dose at 3 months (as a part of Pentavac). 3rd dose should be given at 7 months of age. At 4 months, Quadrovax, Rotarix and Prevenar 13 should be given. At 5 months, Quadrovax, Imovax Polio and Prevenar 13 should be given.

Ideally, all thw vaccines should be given on the same day: 2 vaccines can be given on one thigh, with a minimum gap of one inch between 2 sites: This as as per standard recomendations.

Only 2 doses of IPV at 2 months interval are recommended if IPV is started after 2 months of age. Booster of IPV is to be taken at 16-18 months

As per new recommendations (issued in November 2013), Pentaxim and other vaccines with DTaP ("gentle/ painless DTP) is NOT recommended.

You can access the latest immunization schedule (updated in November 2013), as recommended by Indian Academy of pediatrics (IAP) and endorsed by WHO on the last page of the following link:

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.