Pediatrics/Blue spot/patch on bridge of nose

Pic of blue spot
Pic of blue spot  
QUESTION: Hello - My son is 4 months old. He was born with a blue spot/patch on the bridge of his nose. It looks like a bruise. I am just wondering if I should be concerned. My ped hasn't mentioned it at any of his appointments.  It's very visible.

He is fair-skinned (two Irish parents).  Is this some sort of vein (it's not so much a line but a patch) or cluster of blood vessels? Will this fade away when he gains weight?

Any advice would be great. I've attached a picture where you can see it.

ANSWER: Hi, Kim,

He's pretty cute!

With the fair skin, the vein we all have across our noses is much more visible.  This is normal and as his skin becomes more opaque and less translucent, this will fade away.  It still will be there as part of his normal anatomy, but you just won't see it.  

I am a bit concerned about his ears.  They appear a bit blue and unusually enlarged (but maybe just an Easter thing!)

Good luck, Dr. Olson

QUESTION: Thanks Dr. Olson!

Just one more question about this - is what you see in the picture normal for veins? To be a "patch or cluster" versus a line which is what I think of when I hear veins?

(First time Mom here)

Thanks so much.

Hi, Kim,

This is a vein, rather than a cluster of vessels, like something we would call a capillary hemangioma.  Veins are generally linear.  Sometimes we see an abnormal patch of vessels, that usually goes away anyway with time, but this is a pretty distinctive vein.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.