Pediatrics/canker sores

My 12 year old son gets frequent canker sores. These can be quite large and sometimes more than one. He has been getting these for years but no one seems to know what causes them. Individuals on both the maternal and paternal side allege they got them when they were young. They are difficult to treat but typically resolve in a week. Any insight or advice as to canker sores? They can be quite miserable. By the way- Thank you for this service.

Hi, Chandler,

A lot of kids will have benefit from going with a toothpaste that doesn't contain sodium lauryl sulfate, a foaming agent that acts as a trigger in some people.  Look for a SLS-free toothpaste.  Often this will substantially reduce the incidence of these pesky sores.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.