Pediatrics/Comvac 3 Vs Qudrovax

Hi Doc. Puneet,

I would like to check with you on one query i have for my baby's immunization.

AT 10 Week my baby got shots of DTwp + Hib --> Qudrovax, however during the 14 week schedule the Doctor gave the shot of COMVAC3 + Bio HIb.

I would like to check if -

(1) changing the manufacturer/brand of vaccine in subsequent shot will create any problem? or is it advisable?

(2) Is it recommended to have single vendor/brand for all subsequent vaccines on schedule?

(3) While i insisted on Qudrovax the Doctor administrated the Comvac3+BioHIb vaccine saying it is better than Qudrovax and less painful, Is this true?

(4) For 10th week schedule of polio immunization my baby got shots from POLPROTEC brand, Shall i go with same brand for POLIO at 14 week (not done yet, as its running a week late)?

(5) Are International Vaccine (GSK, Pfizer etc) brands are better than Indian brands (Bharat Biotech, SII etc)?

Thanks in advance

Hi Raj,

Here are the answers:

1. PREFERABLY, the manufacturer should be the same. But no significant problem if DTP/ HIb vaccine brand is changed.

2. No, it is neither essential nor feasible to go for one manufacturer for ALL vaccines. But the vaccines where multiple DOSES are to be used, they should PREFERABLY of the same brand.

3. There is no scientific EVIDENCE to show that it is less painful, although the company (Bharat Biotec) claims it.

4. Yes, the same brand should preferably be used.

5. There is no scientific evidence to show that. I must inform you here, by the way, that SII is the WORLD's largest manufacturer and WORLD's largest exporter of vaccines!

Please feel free to ask any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647  

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.