Pediatrics/enfalisiles(during pregnacy my daughters intestines were not in her body) had imediate surgery

I was wondering if my daughters need for immediate surgery after birth due to an enfalisil where her intestines were not in her body when she was in the womb, or also at age 18 months-2 years old she had eye surgery, could be the reason for her mild cognitive delay?

Hi, Brenda,

I think you mean oomphalocele.  In general, this or the eye surgery should not cause a cognitive delay.  I would discuss this with your pediatrician, and if the cognitive delay is mild, she should get appropriate help to get her up to level.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.