Pediatrics/Question regarding neonate (9 days old)

Question
Dear Sir

My daughter was born on Sunday May 04, 2014 through C section at around 3:00 pm. After born she was admitted to NICU as doc said she had difficulty in breathing. 2 days later they discharged her.

1. She was given polio drops and Hepatitis B Vaccination injection on May 06, 2014.
2. Now she is living on her mother's milk.
3. Doctor advised to give her 3 oral solutions namely:
a: Calcimax: 1 ml in morning and evening.
b: A2Z drops (NS drops) Multivitamin, multimineral & Lysine drops by Alkem laboratories ltd: 4 drops, once a day.
c: Calshine P Drops Cholecalciferol (Vitami D3) Oral Solution: 8 drops, once a day.

I have some questions regarding the same. Would be extremely happy to get them answered by you.

1. For two days she is having loose stools (yellow color). We did not consulted doctor till now and waiting to go them over. What do you suggest? Any home remedies for the same?
2. She is just drinking her mother's milk. But her mother is not able to know whether her stomach is filled after feeding or not. And she is also not sure that she is generating adequate milk or not. And frequent milk sucking by baby is also creating ache in breast & nipples. Is there any alternate of breast feeding? If yes, what? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the same.
3. After feeding, most of the time she is having hiccups (a lot of continuous hiccups). On the day she was discharged from NICU & came to her mother and drank her milk for the first time, she had her first hiccups (in our knowledge, whether she had the same in MICU or not, we are not aware of the same) & nurse gave her few drops of water. When we brought her home, we did the same twice. Then I read that water for kids is hazardous and we stopped. Is it true? Now when she have hiccups i give her the drops (3b or 3c above) and her hiccups sops most of the time. Is this okay?
4. When her mother feed her, after feeding she started crying loudly (like someone cries in pain). She farts frequently and seems she has some gas issues in the stomach. But we are not sure why she does that right after feeding. Any suggestions?
5. When shall we take her to government hospital for her card and further all vaccinations? Also is government medicine safe to give to babies? In the era of all this corruption and greed where people are giving injection to gourd so that it grow up fast, injecting watermelon with red die so that it look red, are the government (FREE) vaccination safe to give to neonate?
6. Any tips so that she let us sleep at night. She sleeps in days and cries at night. My wife is also not getting the chance for rest and is loosing everything.

I would be a lot of extremely grateful for all your help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Answer
1. For two days she is having loose stools (yellow color).
------ sorry no home remedies. check for danger signs at loose motions article at kondekar.com

2. She is just drinking her mother's milk. But her mother is not able to know whether her stomach is filled after feeding or not.
==== if the baby passes urine ten times a day, its likely that baby is getting enough milk.

And she is also not sure that she is generating adequate milk or not. And frequent milk sucking by baby is also creating ache in breast & nipples. Is there any alternate of breast feeding?
==== no unless, there is serious issue with mother or breast.

==== avoid free water use unless your doctor has adviced, most hiccups will settle on patting back, winding out teh child by burping and keeping the child in arms with head/chest high, with chest close to chest ..

==== wait and watch.if its with each feed, visit a dr.

5. When shall we take her to government hospital for her card and further all vaccinations? Also is government medicine safe to give to babies?
=== yes. safe. it seems she has not been given bcg vaccine. take the card to govt hospital and ask for bcg appointment earliest.

In the era of all this corruption and greed where people are giving injection to gourd so that it grow up fast, injecting watermelon with red die so that it look red, are the government (FREE) vaccination safe to give to neonate?
=== yes, they are tested for quality and control. check immunisation schedule at www.kondekar.com some vaccines are not available in government set up and may be taken with private dr.

=== break her  day time sleep by activities like talking or eye contact to her. children at this age sleep around 15 hrs or more.

www.pediatricianonline.in

Pediatrics

Dr Kondekar Santosh Venketraman Pediatrician MD, DNB, Mumbai India, Online Pediatrician