Pediatrics/ROTAVIRUS Vaccine

QUESTION: Hi Puneet,

My Baby Details:
Name - Harmandeep Singh
Date Of Birth - 28th Dec, 2013
Vaccination Details:
BCG - 1st Jan, 2014
Pentahib Ist Dose - 19 Feb, 2014
Pentahib 2nd Dose - 20 Mar, 2014
Pentahib 3rd Dose - 30 Apr, 2014

No RotaVirus Vaccine till now.
So, please recommend us what to do now for the same.

Mandeep Singh

ANSWER: Hi Mr. Mandeep Singh,

Rotavirus vaccine SHOULD NOT be given now. This vaccine is to be started at 6 or 10 weeks of age. It is NOT SAFE to start this vaccine after 15 weeks of age.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

QUESTION: Hi Puneet,

Thanks for the reply.
Please suggest us what we do now to protect our baby from RotaVirus.

Mandeep Singh

Hi Mr. Mandeep Singh,

I am sorry, there is no preventive strategy for rotavirus infection other than vaccination.

It is only about 6 years back when the vaccine was first introduced in India. So, there is nothing to panic...but, prevention is not possible with current knowledge of Science.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.