Pediatrics/Sunlight exposure

Dear doc,

My son is 5yrs old.He has a big mole on his right cheek. We stay in dubai and here peak temp around 40c. Today he was exposed to directly sunlight for about an hour at 2.30 pm when we went out.Is it ok to go out with sun screen? I am worried about his UV exposure.He is not usually exposed to sun light.

Dear Pooja,

This depends on
a) What kind of mole it is and
b) Whether you have observed his mole enlarging when exposed to the son and
c) if a sunscreen does work, what is its power

I think that birth moles do not respond with sun exposure in any way, and they remain the same. If a mole starts increasing in size and makes you worry if it is undergoing malignant degeneration, then it won't be due to sunlight exposure.

You can safely use a sunscreen with an SPF of between 15-25 for his age, but I don't think you should overly worry just because he has a mole.

Dr. Taher

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.