Pediatrics/5 yr old touching himself

Question
I would like to know what to say to my  5-yr-old grandson everytime I see him with his hand in his pj's or humping a stuffed lion.  The second he sees me his face turns into embarassment. This has happened about 6 times  in the past month. I just want to explain what's normal and what's not.

Answer
Hi, Grandma,

This is normal kid behavior, but not real acceptable in public.  Explain to him that this is private behavior that makes people uncomfortable and if he needs to do it, do it in private.  Try to get him engaged in other activities to lessen the chance of boredom and the "nothing to do" experiences he might have.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD