Pediatrics/Vitamin D

Dear Doctor,

My son will turn 6 yrs on 26/6. However, he looks between 3-4 yrs old and looks very tiny. However, he is super active and normal in his diet. He loves fruits and normal home made food. He is not at all fond of outside food or junk food. His doctor has advised him to take Calcirol once a week and for 7 weeks as he has been diagonsed with Calcium deficiency. His friends and class mates looks much taller and healthier than him. Now a days, he complaints of having pain in his legs. We have completed 7 week course of his calcirol.

Request you to please advise as to whether we are on the right course of medication or we need to take second opinion from some other doctor.

Thanks for your help and guidance.
Best Regards

Dear Rahul,

You need to take X-rays of his palms and wrists and elbows to get them checked for bone-age. Go to his pediatrician, he will guide you. If these X-rays show his bone age to be as much as his real age, then there is nothing wrong with him; if, however, his bone age is retarded, he will need more tests to rule out hormone deficiencies and will need referral to an endocrine specialist.

Dr. Taher

P.S. Having written my formal answer, I must say that my gut feeling is that he is entirely normal. Look into how you or his mother looked when you/she was your son's age. It is very likely that one of you (the parents) have passed on the frail look to your son.

P.P.S. No need to repeat Vitamin D courses or take calcium now.  

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.