Pediatrics/baby food

Question
hi sir,my baby boy just entered 8th month.he is gaining average weight.but  this time he didn't gain enough weight i think.at his 7th month he was about 6.2,but at end of 7th month he is 6.46.i expected of seven kgs.wat was the reason for not gaining his average weight in that month.he was effected with cold and cough in his 7th month..in my view he is not in enough weight.
plz suggest me how my baby puts on his weight,is there any medication for that?

he doesn't show any interest in his food.im giving my baby cerelac and started giving juices.
can i give him carrot ,pomegranate orange ,apple.juice.etc
plzz lemme know wat i cuold give him...

and also his is not sitting his own yet,i mean bake him to sit but he couldn't balance himself.
my baby boy looks thin..and he is little taller looks like 1 year boy.but he is active.
because of weak is he not able to sit properly??
im so so worried of so many things.. my family  and every body asks me to take him to doctor for not sitting and crawling, .and also for being  of thin...for medication.is that really necessary....
.plzzz suggest some  important ..to me

Answer
Hi Rekha,

Regarding weight gain, not gaining weight in one month is usually not of much concern. A general trend (as seen on baby's growth chart) is more important. Howeevr, I must inform you that the RATE of weight gain (the speed with which baby gains weight) slows down gradually. It is only 1st 3 months when babies gain 700-1000 grams a month. After 3 months, it comes to 400-700 grams a month and further to 400-600 grams a month after 6 months and it further slows down after 9 months and 12 months of age. The minimum normal weight at 7 months of age is  6 kgs. Hence your baby seems to be in normal range. For further details, discuss with baby's pediatrician. He/ she is the best judge.

In general, baby should be sitting latest by 9 months of age. Not everyone crawls. Many babies stand with support and start walking rather than crawling. For detailed assessment of development of YOUR baby, you must discuss with YOUR baby's pediatrician. He/ she is the best person to assess and guide you.

Regarding food, baby should be on mashed/ semi-solid diet (like mashed fruits, khichari, suji-halwa, etc) rather than liquids like juices. Home cooked food is as good (rather better) than proprietary foods like Cerelac.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar