Pediatrics/cough

Question
Dear sir
my son 2.6 yr is having cough frm past 25 days.he has taken course of cefoprox 59 mg, den dr gav him azitthromylin and ascoril, now he is being trated with toxim and zedex.bt still I cant see much improvement. Plz help wht should I do.as he will b week if he takes so many antibiotics. Ur help is needed.dr advised chest is clear and its chronic infection.

Answer
Dear sim,

Thank you for your question. I can understand your frustration at not finding relief despite so many changes of medication, and I fully agree with your premise that too many antibiotics can create a problem with children.

I suggest that you change the doctor and approach a pediatrician who is willing to get your child properly investigated (or go to the same one but ask him to do the tests): a blood count, an X-ray of the chest and a test to screen for TB are a must to start with. Also, consider asking the doctor if a test for whooping cough is indicated (in spite of the fact that your son is probably fully vaccinated against this illness).

Get back to me once those results are in. If you wish, you can approach me on Facebook (drtaher) and share the X ray image as well.

Let's take it further from there.

Dr. Taher

P.S. Stop all antibiotics. Continue only Zedex till the results come in.

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala