Pediatrics/IPV vaccine advice

QUESTION: Hello Dr. Puneet,

My baby is now 4 months old. For Polio, he has been given only Oral Polio (OPV) vaccine till date. Our pediatrician didn't told us about Injectable Polio (IPV) vaccine. Now I came to know that Injectable Polio (IPV) is not an optional vaccine but a mandatory vaccine.

My question is, as my son is now 4 months old and till date he has not been given any dose of Injectable Polio (IPV), so can he be given IPV now at this age or whether its too late to start the IPV now ?

If in case its possible to start IPV at 4 months age, then what will be the IPV catchup schedule now and how many dose can be given at what intervals ?

Sir, I request you to please guide me as I am quite worried about it.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,
Ashish Jain.

ANSWER: Hi Ashish,

Yes, IPV should be give to all babies, as per current recommendations of IAP.

For catch up vaccination, only 2 doses are required (instead of usual three)at  MONTHS interval...followed by booster at 16-18 months.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

QUESTION: Thanks for the reply doctor.

Can you please further elaborate that in your reply "at  MONTHS interval" means whether 1 months or 2 months interval for doses ?

Also, if we start the IPV vaccine for my son at 4 months age and only 2 doses be given (instead of usual three), then will it have the same immunization effect ?

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Ashish Jain.

Hi Ashish,

I am so sorry for the typo.

It is 2 (TWO) months interval.

YES, it will have same effect.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647  

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.