Pediatrics/mucus in baby stool on neocate

why my 3 month old son has a lot of mucus in his stool?
from the begining i give him formula, at 3 weeks old he was put on alimentum(hypoallergenic formula) because he had constipation and abdominal cramp all the time. at 6 weeks old he had intestin inflamation and had blood in his stool, so we change the milk for neocate(amino acid base formula). the blood stop 2 days later but the mucus stay and its been 6 weeks hes on neocate and no change in the mucus. it has a lot of mucus in his stool and the color is green/brown sometime look orange. my son also have ezema and acid reflux , he was on losec but i stop to give him the medication 2 weeks ago because it was not working . otherwise hes growing good, only the mucus worry me a lot. our pedriatrician is out of town for a month, i have an appointment with her in 5 weeks. i saw my family doctor and i call the healt link but nobody can give me an answer, i dont know what to do so please help me. thanks

Dear Cristina,

At the outset, let me apologise for not visiting your question earlier. I was a bit pre-occupied and hence delayed the visit.

I can understand what you must be going through with your son. It appears that your pediatrician must have ordered stool tests earlier before changing his formula and giving any medications. It would be a good start for me to take a look at the stool report. I am particularly interested in seeing if there was any stool infection, such as the presence of pus cells or white or red blood cells; also, I would like to know if the child is able to or not able to digest fat. For this, doctors sometimes give a high intake of fat (as butter) and then examine the next three days' stool to watch how much of that fat is used by the body and how much is thrown out.

Other than this issue of poor absorption of food, I cannot think of any other reason for persistent mucus in a nicely growing child.

Blessed be.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher  

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.