Pediatrics/Pool water up nose then choking?

Question
My daughter was swimming today and said she got pool water up her nose and then started choking and coughing. It was pool water from our local community center. Chlorinated. Why did it choke her, should I be considered and what about the parasite that eats your brain. Did the water go up far enough to latch onto an olfactory nerve into her brain.

We are very worried.

Answer
Hi, Yasmine,

Kids all the time get pool water up their nose and spit and sputter.  This is normal.  The ameoba that is the parasite that rarely, fortunately, infects the brain is only found in contaminated water.  She should be fine.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD