Pediatrics/Baby weight

Question
Dear Sir,

Our son is Nov 26th, 2012 born. He will be 21 months soon.

He weighs 10.5 Kgs. The different baby growth charts put the expected weight for a 21 month old baby boy to be around 11 or 11 plus Kgs. I need to understand if 10.5 Kgs is considered underweight ?! He is very active and shows good learning and memory skills. He seems to be more interested in playing these days rather than food, this has caused my wife to worry about the quantity of food intake and weight gain! He does like variety of food and eats well for first half or so and then starts refusing and gets diverted. How can we know if he is having sufficient food?!  

Can you please provide some guidelines on how we can judge if our son is underweight/malnourished OR if he is doing just fine!

Rgds,
Sridhar K Veena

Answer
Normal weight can vary widely. If he is active and  playful there is nothing to worry. Do not force him to eat. Every child wi8ll eat what he requires unless emotionally deprived. Give medicine for worms regularly.
http://www.homebusinessandfamilylife.com/normal_child_development.html
http://www.homebusinessandfamilylife.com/baby_not_eating.html

Pediatrics

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri