Pediatrics/Blood in stools

My 8months old baby boy had diarrhea 2 to 3 weeks ago due to lactose intolerance which he recovered from. 5 days ago he suddenly started passing dark green watery stinking stools with breast feed only. Which later had blood in it only when breast fed. Doctor prescribed to cut off any dairy product from my diet completely & to quit breast feeding for 24 to 48 hrs.Zinc, ORS ,Zymosaf and diof and enterogermina has been prescribed. Since my baby has never been bottle fed and has been an exclusive breast fed with resent introduction of semi solid food he completely refused to leave breast milk affecting his energy level and made him appear further ill with sleeplessness. Hence I am bound to offer him breast feed at long intervals again leading to blood in stool. Doctor after 3 days of diof had changed it to Taxim o which had worked good last time. kindly advice, without stopping breastfeed the issue has to be handled also, his stool routine has reducing substances in both the instances and 0 to 1 pus cell. I am worried  and in high tension. He has itchy nose and ears sometimes as well

Dear Sonam,

I am sorry to say that your child's pediatrician is not approaching the  problem scientifically. Here is what you need to do:

Do not stop breast milk.

Collect a stool sample and get it examined for the following - Routine; Osazone test for diagnosis of which reducing substance is present in the stool; a stool culture to see which bacteria are present; and, if possible, withdrawal of all sources of cow's milk. (Not breast milk).

Do not keep changing antibiotics.

Consider stopping all antibiotics for a few days. Then let me know what happens to his stools.

Revert to me after you have done all this.

Thank you for posing the question.

Please also let me know his weight - before the entire illness began; now; and after doing what I have advised you to do.

- Dr. Taher

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.