Pediatrics/Body Temp

Question
Dear Doctor,
My 2.9 year old son body temp is showing 96 Degree when he is sleeping. Shall I go to consult doctor.
Ajay

Answer
Hi Ajay,

You need to take three important precautions while interpreting body temperature readings:

First, the temperature reading must be taken for correct duration. If you are using the digital thermometer, the thermometer should be in correct place till it beeps. If mercury thermometer is being used, it should be in place for 120 seconds (2 minutes). If it is kept fr shorther duration, it may give falsely low reading.

Second, the reading in axilla (armpit) is 1 degree less than oral temperature. You have to add 1 degree to get the correct body temperature. Hence, if the reading in thermometer is 96F, the correct temp is 97F. If the reading is 97F, the correct temp is 98F.

Third, if there is sweating in the armpit, the reading can be falsely low. Whenever in doubt, dry the armpit with a towel and take the reading again.

I must tell you now that the range of normal body temperature in humans (both in children and adults) is 96-99F. Hence, even if the correctly recorded  temperature is 96F, still yu need not take him to his doctor... Relax!!

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar