Dear Dr Puneet. My son is one year old and is constipated very frequently.This problem started after 6 months when I started semi solids along with my breast milk. He is only breast fed and no formula milk. He is constipated after every two weeks.Usaually he doesn't have bowel movements for 4/5 days. Then he has hard stools which he passes with difficulty.I  give him lactulose which helps him. My dr has advised to include lactulose 15 ml daily.I have tried prune juice, apple juice, fennel water. I try to give him fruits and veg and prepare food at home with ghee. From last one month lactulose is mostly given daily. he is passing hard stools everyday. he stops what ever he is doing and applies a lot of pressure to pass stools.
I am really worried about his constipation. I would really appreciate if you could help me.

Hi Karuna,

Constipation is not to be taken lightly.

It seems that you are giving Lactulose on "SOS basis": That is not the correct way to use it. It is to be used for months together under close medical supervison to "permanently" cure such cases. This is of course with proper diet (plenty of fluids and fibre, less of milk) and "toilet retraining" (Sitting on the toilet seat with a bench below his feet for 10 minutes twice a day). Please discuss about it with your pediatrician.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647  

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.