Pediatrics/Discomfort to 3+ months old baby girl

My girl has become 3 and a half month old. For 3-4 days she is under discomfort a lot of time for the day. It seems she has some issues with her stomach. Maybe stomach pain etc. But we are not sure. She starts crying anytime.

Can you guide what could be the problem? Or what additional info shall I provide to you?

Dear Ashis,

Gas-related problems of the infant's tummy are commonly seen before 4 months of age, so I don't think this is infant colic. Also, you mentioned that she is irritable and cries, but I do not know if there is a viral problem (stomach-flu), a more serious dysentery (if she has loose motions with blood or stickiness), a throat infection (tonsils can, when inflamed, also cause tummy pain) or something else. You should probably take her to a pediatrician.

Dr. Taher

P.S. revert to me with more information such as whether she has fever, vomiting, loose stools, where exactly is her pain (on the right side upper abdomen, in the stomach area, or lower down)and how is her intake of food. Also, please tell me if there have been any other symptoms.

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.