Pediatrics/Booster Doses

Dr. Puneet Kumar wrote at 2014-08-12 12:40:12
As per standard recommendations of IAP, 2 doses of MMR vaccine are recommended: First at 15 months and 2nd at 5 years of age.

One can see the latest recommendations at: http://iapindia.org/IMM%20Schedule.pdf

Typhoid vaccine is less effective than many other vaccines, correct. It gives 70% protection. Parents should be aware of it. However, typhoid is so common in our country that even 70% protection reduces the chances remarkably. Hence, this vaccine is recommended every 3 years after 2 years of age.

Moreover, parents should be aware of the fact that now better Typhoid vaccine (conjugate vaccine) is also available in Indian market. It gives >90% protection and repeated doses are also not required. However it is a costly vaccine.

Best wishes,

Dr. Puneet Kumar,

Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka

New Delhi, India

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri