Pediatrics/pediatric asthma

Sir, my kid is 2 and half years old and since his birt he is suffering from cold and cough.  Some days before doctor told me he is suffering from kids asthma.  Nearly 3-4 months back he is continually having cough.  Is starts any time specially at night. Doctor told to nebulizer 4 times a day with Budecort. 5 mg two times and levolin 2 times. With montilukast 1 time.  He tried almost all medicines.  These helps but don't releav permanently. Kindly suggest for permanent or at-least effective medicines. Please help.

You must have misunderstood the directions of the doctor. Budecort should be used twice a day and Levolin 4-6 times a day for relief. You need to use Budecort even when he does not have symptoms of asthma ... may be for as long as 6-12 months. There is no other form of treatment that will help. You may stop montelukast as budecort is enough as a preventive drug. Look up and check out the patient information sheets for asthma of childhood. Download it and educate yourself and your wife so that you know what is the future prognosis for your son. Preventive measures include many other things like avoiding crowded and polluted places, vacuuming your house so that there is no dust, vacuuming curtains and sofas and bed-sheets, wet-mopping the house, avoiding taking him out in chilly climate or where there are strong winds, avoiding cold infection which can trigger an attack of asthma, etc.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Taher K

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.