Pediatrics/vaccination queries

QUESTION: Hello sir
My son is 7 years old.
My pediatrician advised me thay no need to giv vaccine for neumonia.  And also he said that vaccine for tge same is not found very effective.  He said that no one can give surety of that if you suerity of prevention of neumonia by giving pheumococal vaccine.

Please cear that this vaccine is neccasary or not?

ANSWER: Hi Sandeep,

Your physician is partially right. An otherwise healthy child above 5 years of age does not NEED vaccination as pneumonia is very uncommon in healthy children above 5 years of age. Your son (and even you!) would need this vaccine after 65 years of age: the other age group where the vaccine is needed.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647  

QUESTION: Thanks sir
In worries of child. I spoil your time and indicate wrong age.

I m extremely soory.

My son is only 7 months old.

And my doctor advised me that the vaccine for neumonia is not so effective.  And no need to give the same.

No research established that the vaccine is not effective.

In short the problem is not money but I dont want to give unnecessary injection to my baby.

Please guide me that I should give this vaccine to my child or not?

Thanking you for your humble and patience kindness

Hi Sandeep,

Then your physician is definitely wrong.

Any child less than 5 years of age definitely needs the vaccine. The vaccine is effective, there is no doubt absolutely.

Your baby would need two doses of the vaccine at one month interval followed by booster at 12-15 months of age. Please get it dose as soon as possible.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647  

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.