Pediatrics/My 1 year baby not eating

Question
I would like to know what vitamin supplement to give to my baby to eat. She is not eating and the color of her hair has become brown instead of black. Please help

Answer
Hi Yashmine,

Your pediatrician would recommend you the vitamin supplement, as per the need. There is no need to give vitamin supplement to anyone and everyone.

Regarding color of hair also, it needs to be seen if they are naturally brown or there is something that needs to be checked.

Regarding poor appetite, I must tell you that appetite of babies NORMALLY decreases at around 1 year of age: babies grow very fast in first year of life. Growth rate falls after one year of age. Thus, a 3 kg baby at birth would be close to 10 kg (3 times the birth weight) at one year of age; however, he would gain just 2 kg in 2nd and 3rd year. Thus, it is natural that their appetite decreases by the time they are one year old.

Just keep on focusing on VARIETY of food and let the child decide the amount of food to be eaten: Please do not "per-calculate" the amount of food that "should" be eaten.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar