Pediatrics/Regarding DPT Booster Vaccination

Question
Dear Doctor,

My baby is completed 21 months and as per her immunization schedule, she is supposed to have DTP(B1)+IPV4+HIB(B) and Hepatitis A(2nd) between 18-24 months. She has been given Pentaxim for DTP combination and Havrix 720 for Hep A (1st) earlier.

I would like to know that if these both vaccinations can give together on same day. Also wanna know that same vaccination (Pentaxim and Havrix 720) will be given or some other is required.

Please advice accordingly. Thank you for your reply.

BRegards,
Anshul

Answer
Hi Anshul,

Yes, both of them can be given on the same day.

However, I would like to inform you the recent changes in the guidelines. Pentaxim is a combination of DTaP (so called "gentle" or "painless' DTP), HIb and IPV. Earlier, both DTwP ("normal" DTP) and DTaP were considered to be equally effective. Since DTaP caused little or no fever, most parents opted for DTaP. It has been recently found that in the long run, DTwP is more effective than DTaP. Hence, in recent guidelines issued in November 2013, it has been stated that DTaP should preferably not be used.

Hence, I would recommend that you should go for DTwP/ Hib and IPV booster. There are many brands of DTwP/ Hib: You can go for any brand. However, there is no brand with DTwP/ Hib and IPV. Thus, IPV needs to be given separately. Thus, your child will have to be given 3 injections: DTP/ Hib, IPV and Hepatitis A. All the three can be given on the same day. Preferably go for vaccination on a weekend, as the child may be a bit cranky or have fever for 1-2 days because of DTwP.

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar