Pediatrics/weight gain and food habits

Our son is 21 months old. He is around 10.3 kgs now. he is playful and very active child. Shows good learning and memory abilities. He is 83 cms tall. We are concerned about his weight, which at 10.3 Kgs, seems to be below indicated values in the baby growth charts. Please let us know if we really needs to be concerned.

He eats well and tries out variety of food. He has had cough and cold for last 3 days. His food intake has gone down drastically. We assume his appetite should come back to normal once his cold clears up.

How do we know if a child is consuming right quantity of food? At times we have to force him a lot and seems to take a lot less food than his normal intake. We need your advice and inputs on how we can be sure we are providing right quantity/quality of food required for his growth.

weight of 10 kg though low, isnt bad for a child of 2 years in India if birth weight were round 2 Kg.
Weight is an easily modfiable option at any age based on diet and exertion.
toddlers due to their increased activity gain weight slower. so if the child has gained weight by 6-7 kg in first year of life, next few years it can be 1-2 kg per year.

short viral fevers do cause reduced intake 3 days prior and 5 days after the episode, which should be compensated by energy rich liquids during illness offered in increased frequency say 6-8 times a day.

how do we know if a child is consuming right quantity of food?
== by urine out put frequency every day and periodic weight gain on charts.

At times we have to force him a lot and seems to take a lot less food than his normal intake.
=== often this is seen in constipation, throat infections, tonsils etc. change the food to semisolids, warm the fluids add liberal ghee/curds.. and give it in short boluses over long period and more frequent. convert the staple diet into staple snacks. do consult your doctor for background problem.. which can be as simple as dominant milk diet, low hemoglobin or a sore on tongue.
read links at

get back with specific query with average daily diet sheet.  

Dr Kondekar Santosh Venketraman Pediatrician MD, DNB, Mumbai India, Online Pediatrician

also click here for what to ask a doctor?. download Question answer android app on child health from . Free advice also on topics like asthma epilepsy tuberculosis in children. I am a proud father and a qualified pediatrician with an expertise and interest in counseling parents regarding different aspects of health and disease making them understand children, their health and disease and the doctors.Download android app to ask free questions from Read my reviews/ratings at REVIEWS I do treat and counsel all classes and specialties, I have a special expertise and interest in queries regarding feeding of infants and; the common cold & related illnesses including asthma. I as a friendly doctor, try to help you understand the children, the disease, the treatment and the doctor! At the end, dont forget to add prestige points and nominations for me, as that is the only incentive for me to continue with free service. Affiliated to Seth G S Medical college and KEM Hospital Mumbai India (1992 till 2010). Now at Topiwala National Medical College, BYL Nair hospital Mumbai. *Online Pediatrician * KEY WORDS: ASTHMA EPILEPSY REPEATED RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS TUBERCULOSIS INFANT FEEDING HEART DISEASES ADHD AUTISM ADD SECOND OPINIONS PAID ANSWERS

I was a pediatrician at Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital Mumbai India, since 1999 till 2010. Currently as a pediatrician and as a associate professor at Topiwala National Medical College, BYL Nair hospital Mumbai. Pioneered as Online Indian Pediatrician for free advice SINCE 2002. Now also at Shushrusha Hospital Dadar,Mumbai INDIA daily 7 to 9 PM. Child Specialist dr Kondekar

Promote Your Page Too

Visit for more details of organisation.(since 1992 till 2010)

Publications best is to do a google search for "Dr S kondekar"

I am MD DNB in pediatrics and a fellow of College of Physicians and surgeons of Mumbai, and fellow of foundation for advancement of medical education and research GSMC. Currently also as a consultant in child health specialist pediatrician in Mumbai India at Shushrusha Hospital Walk in clinic Daily 7 to 9 pm Dadar West.

do visit my BlogSite

A lot number of simple people and medicos who consult Dr SK daily for their problems. Around 4000 plus client on this site alone.