Pediatrics/18 month old's height

My son is currently 18months old and 78cm tall (he weighs around 12kg). I recently checked his records and have seen that he was 75.5cm at his last check up at 13 months. This means he has only grown 2.5cm in around 6 months, and is now on the 5th percentile for height. From birth (50cm) he has always been on the 50th percentile or there and there abouts, so this is a huge drop. We are not scheduled to see the heath visitors again until he is two years old.

He is a happy boy and thriving in all other respects - walked at 10 months and is talking a lot for his age. I breastfed until he was 11 months old, but since i stopped breastfeeding he refuses to drink milk. I try and make up for this by giving him lots of dairy products such as yoghurts, cheese etc

I am 1.63m tall and my husband is 1.75, so we are average height. But my son's lack of growth is really concerning me - should I schedule an appointment with my pediatrician?

Thank you very much.

Hi, Lindsay,

Whenever I see a weird, inconsistent height in the office in a child this age, I remeasure.  This is most likely the cause of an apparent height velocity decrease in a child this age who is healthy.  I wouldn't worry about it and either would have the doctor remeasure or simply have it done at the 24 month PE.  I see this all the time in the office and virtually always either the current or another height was wrong.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.