Pediatrics/Baby diet schedule

Question
Hello doctor,
My baby is 10 months old..His whole day diet includes milk(14 oz),raagi kanji,toor dal rice with vegetables,yogurt,fruits and finally multigrain cereal..This is his diet routine inorder..I wanted to know if this diet is sufficient or i should include or stop something..Am just worried if am on right track..we are vegeterians..Thats why i dont include eggs in his diet..He weighs 10 kgs now..Looking forward for your reply..Thankyou

Answer
Hi Sahana,

You are doing a good job!

Just take care of following:

1. His diet should have extra fat (butter/ ghee/ oil). Add it in everything you give. On an average, baby needs 10-15 grams of extra fat/ day: This has to continue till 2 years of age.

2. There needs to be variety in fruits and vegetables. Offer him as many/ as different vegetables and fruits in his diet.

3. He should not be on "mashed" diet. The texture of food needs to be increased so that by 1 year of age, he should be taking "normal" family foods as such (with added fat).

4. All other dals can also be given.

5. Scientifically, protein from animal source is the best. Vegetarian food is also deficient in Vitamin B 12. That is why, WHO, IAP and Govt of India recommendations mention that babyes diet should have animal source food preferably daily, IF CULTURALLY ACCEPTABLE. I am mentioning this despite knowing that you are vegetarian just because I know some vegetarian families who do offer at least eggs and fish to their children (although parents don't take)...

Otherwise, do make sure that cereal and dal should preferably be taken together. Together they make up for their deficiencies and make up complete protein. Also ask your pediatrician about iron and multi-vitamin supplement that your baby might require.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar