Pediatrics/Baby slow weight gain

Question
QUESTION: Sir , my daughter is 8 month old baby. She weighs 6.20 kg only. She is very active baby and takes food properly , but she looks very tiny. I got thyroid problem during my pregnancy. I take 50 mg of thyroxine daily. This is my latest value.TSH - 4.17 , FT3- 2.8. , FT4 - 1.04. Please let me know whether my thyroid is in normal range. And want to know whether it is affecting my baby's weight and her growth .

Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Siva,

Your hypothyroidism is well controlled with medication and the same dose should be continued while continuing follow up with your doctor.

No, well-controlled hypothyroidism doesn't affect baby's growth at all.

Whether your baby is growing well depends upon baby's birth weight, whether preterm/ term, the growth pattern, diet and various other factors. For example, 6.2 kg at 8 months might be OK if baby was 2-2.2 kg at birth (Normally babies triple their birth weight by about 9 months of age. What does your pediatrician say?

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

QUESTION: Thank u very much for ur reply Sir. My pedi says she is slow but growing on her curve. Her birth weight is 2.89 kg. now she is 8 months old but she weighs 6.2 kg only. Really worried about her weight. Is there any way that would help to increase her weight.

Thanx ,
Siva

Answer
Hi Siva,

If she is active and is growing well on her curve, there is absolutely no reason to worry. In fact, trying to "push her to higher weight range might be "overload" on her system, and thus harmful to her health. Just give diet as advised by your pediatrician and continue to remain ion touch with him/ her.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar