Pediatrics/Blood work

Question
My 11 mo. old son had blood work done. It came back as read his BUN was low and his creatinine was low. What would be the cause of this. I've strictly breasted him since birth. Still is but I plan on ending breast feeding next month. He is healthy with no known health problems. Thank you.

Answer
Hi, Marilyn,

Why did he have the blood work done?  This makes a difference in interpretation of the lab work.  

The normal range for infants is low.  I know of no disease where low BUN and creatinine, both kidney function tests, have any significance.  Infants have less muscle mass and always have low kidney function tests.  I hope your doctor explained to you that these test results are fine.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD