Pediatrics/Upper thigh hurts

I am a 16 year old female and for about a week and a half now the skin on my upper and outer left thigh, just a few centimeters under my hip bone, has been numb. It feels just like my foot feels when it's asleep. When I lay on that side, it also hurts. It;s like a burning and stinging feeling almost. It s just really painful. Any idea what this is?

Hi, Kristina,

Unless you injured this area in some way, keep a watch for a rash developing in this area.  Sometime shingles, something that is really sort of common in your age group, can start just with a burning, sting place of normal skin and then can develop blisters in the some area.  

If this is not changing and not getting better, see your doctor.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.