Pediatrics/Age Range

Question
Hi. I don't know if I went to a right site. But I just wanted to ask since you're professions is about kids.

I am a 3rd year college taking up BS Computer Science and we're taking up our thesis right now. Our thesis is about game developing and we were obviously developing a game which is strictly for 8 upto 20 years old only. It is an educational puzzle game wherein the puzzle rotates and the player which is an 8 years old and above should tap and rotate to place every layer pieces into the right position to form the complete picture. We were asked to ask a doctor who has a major concern about kids. The question is, does our age range is accurate for the game? What does kids with an age like 8 and above playing and should be learning when it comes to that age?

Thank you so much for answering. Hoping to get a better answer here. I've been looking for a professional doctors online for a week. Thank you. :)

Here's my email account if only needed.  

Answer
Dear Zhie,

You will be surprised at what 8-year olds can do today. However, it all depends on the complexity of the puzzle. You could, for example, have fewer pieces to rotate to complete the puzzle in smaller children, and more if they are older. Or, you could increase the time factor. or, you could provide HELP to smaller children on detection that they are unable to advance.

All these are doable.

There are similar examples in the gaming world. For example, solving jigsaw puzzles with 9 pieces for smaller children, and 1000 pieces for young adults.

Dr. Taher

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala