Pediatrics/Dent on back of skull

I'm a 15 year old male and a little while ago I noticed a bone hard lump on the back of my skull,I pointed it out to my doctor at my physical and he said it was just a lymph node. But I know it's not a lymph node. It is on the back of my skull and up a little and to the right a little. But after feeling around for a while and having my mom feel it, I realized it isn't a lump, it is a dent under the "lump" that I was feeling, making feel like I have a lump above it (if you know what I'm trying to say) so anyways a have a dent on the back of my skull. I don't really know how big it is. But it is not like a little circle, it is kind of long. It's about the size of the tip of my finger from where the little crease on your finger is to the end of the nail. It isn't that deep, but deep enough that I can feel it. I have hit my head hard a few times. But I haven't for a while, and I just noticed this a couple months ago. So I guess my question is, is it normal to have a dent on the back of your skull?

Hi Trent,

From your description, it doesn't seem of much concern.

Moreover,to identify a lymphnode is very basic for any doc. Hence, if any qualified doc says it is a Lymphnode, ther is hardly any chance of him/ her going wrong. Lymph nodes CAN certainly be present at back of skull.

So, relax Trent: no need to worry over it!!

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.