Pediatrics/High fever and rash

Hello Doctor,
I have a 9 year old daughter who has been having recurring fever almost once a month since February. She was then diagnosed with UTI. However, her recent episode with high fever (103) ended up with  rashes on her face, hands and legs. She also complains about pain in her gums and does not want to brush her teeth. All urine tests came back fine, there were 2-3 things that stood out in her blood report:
Neutrophils 89.9%  (should be 20- 45%)
Lymphocytes  3.7%  (should be 17 -45%)
Eosinophils 0%     (should be 2-7%)

HSV1 test IgG and IGM both < 0.5.

She was given Dolo 250 for the fever and doesn't have fever any more. However, she still has rashes and we are not getting a clear picture on what the issue is. The doctor keeps saying nothing to worry.

Any input from you will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dear Wayne,

I agree that her white cell counts are quite messed up. What was the total count? She does not have herpes simplex. The rash is most likely viral in nature. Some viruses have a rash after the fever abates, e.g. the fifth disease.

No treatment is usually needed. At the most, you can apply Calamine lotion to reduce the heat and itching.

Dr. Taher

P.S. sorry for the few days' delay.

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.