Pediatrics/Mycoplasma pneumoniae

Question
My nephew of 3 years old at first, and later my mother, they have been infected by Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Doctors says that after the treatment, infection has disappeared, that only IgG remains positive. But i don´t know why every time that my nephew get sick my mother too. The worst part goes for the kid because often his lungs are affected. The main question is żIf a reinfection or relapse occurs, IgM will be positive or negative?

Answer
Hi, Jose,

With recurrent coughing, one has to think about other conditions like asthma.  It would be unusual to have a relapse of mycoplasma.  IgM can be used to follow this.  If this is a new infection or a relapse, the IgM should be positive.  What I don't know is how long the IgM remains positive after an initial infection.  My guess would be for 2-4 weeks, based on IgM response in other illnesses.  In my six person peds practice in Michgan, we virtually never order mycoplasma gammaglobulins.

Good luck, Dr Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD