Pediatrics/Tingling in arm and hand

Question
Hi, I think I've asked you a question before. But anyways today when I was driving, I was switching lanes so I turned my head and my body to look out my window. I only had my right hand on the wheel and when I turned my body I got this strong tingling in my hand and arm a little. But when I turned myself I really kind of stretched my arm a lot, so do you think it was just because I attached my arm a weird way? When I parked I tried that motion again, and I felt it again. But if I just turn my head and body I don't feel it, my arm has to be point out (like how it was on the wheel) and it has to be being stretched. It felt kinda funny for a couple minuets after. Idk why I'm so worried about it. But do you think it just happened because I stretched my arm, or do you think something is wrong?

Answer
Hi, Trent,

Stretching the upper body with the arm fixed can sometimes stretch the nerves in the brachial plexus, the bundle of nerves in the armpit area.  I suspect this happened.  If this happens without you doing this unusual position, have the doctor do a good neurologic checkup just to be sure.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD